SNACKS & CRAFTS IN THE CLINICS – PROTOCOL
Thank you for your desire to volunteer to work in the Angel Clinic or the Hematology/Oncology Clinic with Kids of Steele! We love that you are with us to help brighten the days of patients being treated here. This is a simple, but important feat… we need you to offer big smiles, yummy snacks, and fun crafts for patients as they come in for outpatient treatment in the clinics.
**Note that for the Hematology/Oncology clinic, KOS member children age 13 & older may attend with an adult. All volunteers must be in good health, as patients are very immune-sensitive.
Banner University Medical Center – Main Building – 3rd Floor
1501 N. Campbell Ave – Tucson, AZ – 85719
*Park in the main parking garage, not Diamond Children’s Garage. Be sure to bring your parking ticket with you for validation.
Enter through the main entrance and take the elevator or stairs to the 3rd floor. When you see the Steele Children’s Research Center main office, go through the double doors to the left of the office. To find the lab where supplies are located, take the second hallway on the right, then the first room on the left.
On the blue cart, please load up the following to be set up on a 6 foot table. Table should be placed just inside the Hem/Onc clinic double doors, along the right wall, or just outside the Angle Clinic doors in the hallway near the black & white photos. Table will be stored in the lab for Angel use or in the break room for Hem/Onc use.
- Fill snack bin with a variety of snacks and drinks (housed in the lab in the first cupboard on the right). Be sure to check for expiration dates! These should be nicely displayed in provided baskets or bins on the KOS table.
- Ensure you have clipboards & pens with the KOS Interest Forms & Banner Photo Release forms. Please ask all patients if they are interested in coming to our FREE fun events and get their info to add to our patient database. We need to have release forms filled out for any pictures taken.
- Display holders with Steele Center pamphlet and Kids of Steele pamphlet to be set out on table.
- Tablecloth & KOS aprons
- Pre-made fun crafts or give-aways to give to patients in baskets/bins
- Some fun, easy crafts or craft kits to give patients or to work on with patients while there.
While volunteering in the clinic, please welcome patients and their families as they come into the clinics. Invite them to enjoy a snack, take a craft and/or goody and see if they are interested in learning more about KOS and/or attending our events. If you are comfortable and patients show interest, you can help them with the crafts while they wait in the lobby.
Please clean up and place items in the correct location in the lab prior to leaving. If you have time, restock the cart so it’s ready for the next clinic session. Thank you!
With any questions, contact KOS Service Co-chair Julie Muehlebach at #520-991-4682 or UA Steele Center liaison Lauren Erdelyi at #520-626-1614